Alternative MBA – Internship details
Instead of getting an MBA, consider spending four months working with CareCrunch
Four intense months working with a group of amazing social and technology entrepreneurs
There are plenty of reasons to get an MBA, especially in a down economy. I’m not sure exactly what they are, though. A typical MBA might take two years out of your life and cost you more than $150,000 in tuition and opportunity cost.
On this page, I’d like to invite you to consider (and apply for) something very different.
First, I’ll describe what’s in it for you, then I’ll explain how to apply. Please read all the instructions before hitting the send button. Thanks for checking this out. Please don’t hesitate to forward this page to someone who might enjoy it.
Three things you need from an MBA-like experience:
Some people would add (4. Connections) but I think those are overrated.
Here’s the program I’m interested in creating:
One hour a day of dialogue/discussion
Four hours a day of working on my projects
Three hours a day of working on your personal project
Five hours a day of living, noticing, doing and connecting
The program I’d like to do is not a typical internship. You don’t get paid a base salary, you don’t do scut work, you are not on your own. It’s not for everyone. If it were, it wouldn’t be worth much.
My goal is to focus the group on practical applications in the following areas:
- community development and coordination
- presentation skills
I expect to spend zero time talking about the stock market, industrial engineering or large-scale finance. Very little accounting as well.
I would imagine that this sojourn will be very valuable to:
people hoping to move to the social or non-profit sector
change agents within corporations
salespeople and business development folks
* 4 month internship
* 5 slots to be filled
* Focus will be on fundraising and sponsorships
All interns will get:
* 5% of all cash sponsorship money raised
* 3% of in-kind sponsorships (CareCrunch has final say as to value of sponsorship)
* 2 benefit events in 2009
Any intern that raises over $20k:
* 5% bonus on cash sponsorships
* 2% bonus on in-kind sponsorships
Top fundraiser (must be over $30k cash sponsorship or $40K in-kind sponsorship to qualify):
* All expense trip paid to Costa Rica ($5k value) – one in a life time experience!
This will be an awesome opportunity for interns to develop perspective on social entrepreneurship
How to apply
Please read this part
I’m looking for people who are brilliant, charismatic, on a mission, moving fast, filled with passion and empathy and want to do something worth doing. It’s fine with me if you can’t use a spreadsheet (yet) but not okay if you have no desire to learn what you don’t know.
- What do you do now?
- Why do you do it?
- What are you hoping to learn?
- After you learn it, what are you going to do with it?
- Tell me a true story about making a change in the world.
- What astonishing thing did you do before you did what you do now.
- What else should I know?
- Deadline for applications: Jun 1, 2009
- Start date: Jun 15 – July 1, 2009